Sunday 4 November 2007

Christmas reading

The Christmas story is so familiar that I feel I have to present a new angle each year in order to keep people's attention, let alone move them on in their faith. So I usually find myself doing a lot of reading in October and November as I start to plan the Christmas preaching themes. Books I've looked at this year include:

The Liberation of Christmas by Richard A. Horsley (New York: Continuum, 1993). A radical re-reading of the infancy narratives in a social context. To give you a flavour: "The Magnificat and other poems in the lucan birth narratives are not so much pious prayers as they are revolutionary songs of salvation." (p107) It's a thought-provoking read, and I'm not sure if I want to turn my congregation into Che Guevaras just yet, but it's well worth the £5 I spent on a second-hand copy. I believe a newer edition is available.

The Birth of the Messiah by Raymond E. Brown (Doubleday, 1999) is yet another comprehensive Brown masterpiece. I am constantly amazed by the breadth of Brown's knowledge and the depth of his insights. At 752 pages this is hardly a quick read, but it presents the infancy narratives - and the attendant problems - in a way that single-gospel commentaries, anxious to move on to Jesus' adult ministry, seldom achieve. A third of the book is taken up by the appendices, dealing with issues of historicity, such as Jesus' Davidic descent, and the place of birth. Brown is very readable, and I was easily sidetracked even as I was looking through the book to write this blog!

I'm using the lectionary for the first time ever, starting this advent, so I purchased a copy of Jane Williams' Lectionary Reflections: Year A (SPCK, 2004) to help me make some connection between the readings. The book is just what I was looking for, giving me ideas without writing my sermons for me. It's helped me see the value of the lectionary cycle.

No comments: