Saturday 3 November 2007

Ein-upmanship

Hmmm. My revered NT tutor Sean Winter is so fired up about the latest issue of Biblica, and the immensely interesting articles therein, that he cannot resist mentioning them on his blog. His review of one article states (in part):

"After a brief sketch of the recent scholarly discussion, the article gives an overview of ancient conceptions of the hereafter (or their lack, respectively) as the cultural background of the potential reception of the idea of the parousia in Thessalonica. Then the identity building force of this idea as part of the missionary preaching becomes discernible: a Christian identity constituted by a separate hope of life after death and a critical distance to the socio-political reality."

There was plenty more where this came from, so I followed the link in order to read the article myself, only to find that it was in German, and therefore even less intelligible than Sean's summary. Can Sean actually read German, as well as Greek and Hebrew? If so, this is definitely a case of "ein-upmanship".

1 comment:

Sean Winter said...

Much as though I would love to take the credit, you missed the fact that I am quopting the article abstracts taken from the website itself.

However, yes I do read some German. It is vital for NT research at doctoral level. I also try and review a book in German every year to keep my hand in.